Developing Better Promotional Products Campaigns
Successful promotion campaigns don’t happen by chance. To realize goals, promotional products programs must be carefully planned, taking into consideration the audience, budget and, of course, the ultimate result to be gained. Here are seven tips from the Promotional Products Association International (PPAI) for developing better campaigns:
1. Define a specific objective. Whether the goal is to increase traffic at a trade show exhibit or to boost sales with current clients, the first step in any campaign is to clarify the purpose of the program.
2. Determine a workable distribution plan to a targeted audience. Distribution of a promotional product is as important as the item itself. Research shows that a carefully executed distribution plan significantly increases the effectiveness of promotional products. For example, a pre-show mailing to a select audience delivers more trade show traffic and qualified leads than simply distributing items to passerby at the show.
3. Create a central theme. Linking a recognizable logo and color to all aspects of a campaign, from promotional products to sales sheets to product packaging, helps create an instantly recognizable image.
4. Develop a message to support the theme. Supporting a campaign’s theme with a message helps to solidify your company’s name, service or products in your target audience’s mind.
5. Select a promotional product that bears a natural relationship to your communications theme. A good example is a company that developed a magic motif for its conference at Disney World. Attendees received magic-related products to tie in with the theme “Experience the Magic at Disney®.”
6. Don’t pick an item based solely on uniqueness, price or perceived value. Don’t fall prey to the latest trends or fads. The most effective promotional products are used in a cohesive, well-planned campaign.
7. Use a qualified promotional products consultant. A good promotional products consultant can help you develop a solid promotional products campaign strategy as well as provide a variety of value-added services, including unique product ideas, creative distribution solutions and insight on the different imprinting methods just to name a few.